I realized I never closed the loop on my “Getting Ready for 2015” thread, so here goes.
The insight that I need to separate “lifestyle changes” (things like ‘get to the gym’ and ‘cook more’) from “goals” (big projects to do) really helped me. A LOT of the things on my “to do” list were not goals or projects, but things I want to implement in my life. So, I was able to move them to a different list. (So many lists!)
From the remaining, I used the following filters:
- “what can you realistically achieve in one year?”
- does this goal do something for anyone more than just me?
- will it be challenging and fun enough to commit to?
- do I think it fits into my bigger vision of who I am and why I’m here
Very possibly, these are not what a coach or therapist might suggest, but they work for me because I can embrace them wholeheartedly.
So, here’s the final list – with a few comments for clarification. Aside from the 1st, they are just alphabetical, not in order or importance.
- finish the MA project at EMU – big big big. It will be on ADHD, but the closer I get, the more it looks like a meditation on the word “normal”
- ADHD and Improv – I’m still under the spell of Nachmanovitch’s “Free Play” and I think Improv is my best way to help move that idea along. Working with Kirsten in Orlando was great and I think there is real potential here.
- A2 ADHD Showcase – I want to do at least 2 more of these in 2015, possibly 4. The first was fun. I’m hoping to have more participation, but that’s always a goal.
- Amy Benefit Concert – I missed 2014
- At least 2 public performances around ADHD – probably Barnes and Noble or AADL
- Core and back – back has been getting worse, so this became a priority. The goal is finding the right exercises and implementing them.
- Family tree – this year, finally pull all those notes together
- Etsy – the beadwork, t shirts and photography
- Get rid of extra laptops – I have kept several because of various software or ports. Resolve these
- Get house painted – farm this out, we put it off 2 years now trying to “get to it”
- Poetry book – finish it, submit it, get it published
- Pointless Pub – Tori and Jason are opening a pub and I get to help!
- Scooter fix – either get it fixed or sell it
- Wonder Drug – get it recorded and up on YouTube or SoundCloud
These looked do-able (feasible) as of December 2014. I also know from experience that things will come up during the year, so I tried to leave room for those.